Boba!
>> Friday, April 2, 2010 –
food
The first time I saw boba was at my college's cafeteria during an international food week.
I thought it was strange that people put small balls of goo in their drinks.
It was like a meal in a glass. Strange.
But I shouldn't have knocked it until I tried it.
Boba was in China when I lived there.
And it was in Chinatown when I lived near San Francisco.
My husband and I LOVE it...so much that we learned how to make it ourselves!
It's an acquired taste.
Some people can't get over the "chew."
Boba are huge pearls of tapioca.
Some places in the US call it "Bubble Tea." Maybe you've heard of it?
They come dry, so you boil them for 5 minutes before adding them to the bottom of your drink.
Our favorite way to enjoy them is with some sweetened condensed milk, honey, and freshly brewed sun tea.
But you can add it to just about any drink.
You just need a special big straw to be able to enjoy them with your drink.
I hope you get a chance to try it.
For my Saint Louis friends, there is a Bubble Tea shop in the Loop on Delmar.
I know we'll be enjoying more of these this summer!
It's delicious...and such a special treat!


