Powered by Blogger.

Week in WI

While Jon left for a fun week on his mission trip in FL, the kids and I bravely took off on our own for a week in WI to visit my best friend, Bethany, and her family. I was admitedly a bit nervous about driving EIGHT hours with the 2 kids by myself, but I knew being away from the routine of everyday life would help pass the time and keep Evan's mind off of missing his daddy.

We took off Monday morning pretty bright and early since I wasn't able to sleep well the night before (I guess I was having a hard time sleeping without my hubby next to me...) so I loaded up the van with everything but the overnight bag with all of the last minute things we needed in the morning. I won't say that I regret going up to WI by myself with the two kiddos, but I will say that it will be a LONG time before I try it again! (Well, maybe the next time Haven would actually be interested in watching a movie to pass the time...and then it would be better!) And it's not that it was terrible, but it certainly wasn't as good as it could have been either. Haven was fussy frequently, even though I had her in disposable diapers so she wouldn't feel the need to be changed as often as she does in her cloth diapers. But oh well. We still made it to Jon's parents' house by 6:00...just in time for some supper, so I can't really complain! :)

It was a nice, albeit brief, visit with the grandparents. It gave me a break from driving (and from the kids for a little while too!), and it gave them another chance to see the kids and how quickly they are growing.

The next morning we headed up for "Lily's house," as Evan called it. (Phil and Bethany, I guess you just don't count anymore. ;)) It was so nice to have such a wonderful break from the craziness of where we are right now in life as well as a chance to get my mind off of missing Jon and just enjoy some wonderful quality time with my best friend. :)

It took no time at all for Evan to make himself at home playing with all of Lily's toys. Bethany has done a wonderful job putting her master's classes to work by setting up stations in the play room for Lily. Her hard work is really evident! Both of the kids enjoyed playing, sometimes together :), and learning to share too. And I have been inspired to set up stations of my own...you know, when we have a house again. :)

One of the conditions of our very last-minute trip to WI was that Bethany wasn't supposed to get herself all worried about cleaning up for us to come since our plans hardly left room for any preparations. It wasn't that long ago that I was pregnant with a toddler running around and remembering what it was like to keep a house clean with all those toys! And remembering what that was like (for all you FLY ladies out there...I was certainly in CHAOS (can't have anyone over syndrome) and just always trying to get a clean start...), I wanted to bless Bethany by helping her get a few things checked off her to-do list. Ok, so she did most of the work when it came down to it since I was nursing Haven and taking care of her. But we did get a few major ticket items accomplished, which made me feel good (maybe especially since I don't have my own house right now and know that I'll be in her shoes shortly!) and I hope made her feel better too. I think I'm most proud of getting their gas grill set up for them. They hadn't used it since they bought it with their house...and you all know how much I love to grill!! So it makes me happy to know that they can enjoy that summertime pleasure now. :)

It was also precious to watch Lily with Haven. She was so gentle and caring and motherly (quite unlike the way Evan treats her!)...Haven just lit up every time she came around! Lily is certainly going to be a great big sister come November!!

We did so much fun stuff together...a trip to the library, COSTCO shopping, a trip to the park, a mini photo session...I wish we could have stayed longer! Bethany is such a blessing in my life. I always leave her feeling like I've grown more as a person, that my cup was filled a little fuller, and that someone (other than my husband) truly understands my heart and soul. Thank you Bethany for letting me come and rest my soul! :)

It was hard to leave "Lily's house," but we had a few fun stops on the way back to make it a bit better. First we stopped in at CUW to say hi to the Registrar ladies, to introduce them to Haven, and to be amused that the signs I made when I worked there 6-9 years ago are still up and in use. :) Then we stopped by Kopp's Custard for a tasty treat--Knight Rider (chocolate custard, Oreo cookie bits, and marshmallow creme...yum!). And of course, we spent the night at Grandma and Grandpa Palmer's again before hitting the long road home. And this time we got a surprise visit from Aunt Marilyn and Uncle Fred and Uncle Jim! It was nice for Aunt Marilyn to meet Haven and even play Wii with Evan.

Oh! I almost forgot! To help us feel closer to Daddy and to help Daddy feel closer to us, we made him short little 30 second videos every day to say hi and that we loved and missed him. I hope I can upload a few of them soon to share...Evan is quite the ham!

Enjoy a few pictures from our time together. The rest can be seen here.




















Bethany  – (June 23, 2009 at 10:25 AM)  

It was so nice to have you come! Thanks for your help, for making us dinner and breakfast, and for getting our grill going! I love using it now. Our time together was rest for my soul as well. God sure has blessed us, hasn't He?

Post a Comment

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP